Monday, May 16, 2016

PSLE: Be considerate



The train whizzed through the long dark tunnel as it made its way to the next station.  All the cabins were packed as it was the peak hours.  I was fortunate to have a seat after a long day at school.  I was dead tired.  With my schoolbag between my legs, I was devouring a novel, flipping the pages eager to know the ending soon.

Soon, the train reached the next station and more passengers came in.  It was hard work jostling, pushing and shoving one another to get into the cabin.  An old man caught my sight.  He was probably in his seventies.  With a slight hunchback, he shambled in with the help of a walking stick.  His hair was snowy white and the age spots on his wrinkled face made him really look like a wizened, weather-beaten old man.

Despite his unsteady gait and his shrivelled appearance, no one took a second look.  All those who were seated continued to sleep or chat or stare at their mobiles.  I thought of giving up my seat but I dithered too as I was way too exhausted. 

Just then, a little girl stood up.  Dressed in a pink polka-dot dress, she called out, “Hi, uncle, please take my seat!”  Her pearly white teeth glinted as she flashed a very genuine smile at the old man. 

The grateful old man was surprised and flashed an appreciative smile.  After clearing his throat of some stubborn phlegm, he patted her head gently and muttered a soft thank you.  The little girl beamed a bright smile in return and tried to stand, clutching the metallic pole with a firm grip.  

The train continued its way but somehow, there was a sudden jerk and some passengers almost lost their footing.  However, the girl was not so lucky!  She fell to the ground with a loud thud, bursting into tears of pain.  A plump woman dashed forward and lifted her to her feet, saying, “Nat, you should have kept your seat.  You just had a leg operation, my darling.”  The girl continued crying and big tears streaked down her face as she tried to grab hold of her mother as tightly as possible this time.  The old man stood up to offer her back the seat she had given up but she refused to accept his offer.

My heart ached upon seeing that.  My conscience pricked me really hard.  How could I be sitting down comfortably while a little girl could give up her seat and offer it to a stranger even though she was in pain herself?  She taught me a valuable lesson.  A lesson of kindness.   A lesson to sacrifice and put others first.

Strangely, many of us must have felt the same way at the same time and all of us scrambled to stand and stood up to offer our seats instead as if she was some VIP.  A whole row of seats became vacant instantly and all were for her to choose.  It was a heartwarming sight.  As she plonked on my seat, I made my way to the train doors.  I decided that day that it is okay not to have a seat because there will always be someone who needs the seat more than me.  It is always more blessed to give than to receive.



No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau