Wednesday, August 10, 2016

PSLE: Fire



It was a quiet night.  My sister and I were at home doing our homework as my parents were out on an errand. 

All of a sudden, we heard raised voices and a strange smell started to linger in the air.  What was going on?  I decided to investigate and looked out of the windows.  To my horror, I caught sight of a group of passers-by looking upwards.  I realized that my neighbour’s kitchen was on fire.  Thick black and fluffy columns of smoke were billowing out of the windows.  My mouth fell agape and my face went as pale as a sheet. 

“Jane!  Let’s get out of here!” my nasal voice screeched as I called out to my younger sister.  There was panic in her eyes and she was trembling like a leaf.  By this time, the burning smell had invaded every nook and corner.  Realising how dire the situation was, we decided to make our way to the stairway - fast. 

Just as we were about to descend the flight of steps, I froze in my tracks.  I suddenly remembered that Grandma was asleep next door.  I told Jane to run for safety while I returned to get Grandma. Jane was reluctant to leave without me but there was no other choice.  

I rushed to her main door and banged hard.  No matter how hard I tried, it was to no avail for my grandma was a sound sleeper and she was also hard of hearing too.  A few neighbours were scurrying for safety and they urged me to leave with them.  However, I was adamant not to leave. Grandma was in danger!

By this time, the burning inferno was spreading and the smoke was suffocating me.  I felt like a roasted pig and I could hardly breathe.  In the nick of time, the door sprang open and Grandma looked perplexed as she stared at me in puzzlement.  Without a word, I grabbed her hand to make our escape.  The roar of the fire was deafening and the raging flames were melting the paint on the walls.  All the exits were blocked!  Beads of perspiration dotted our foreheads and waves of dizziness swamped us, making us sway.  Grandma’s face had turned deathly sallow and I was worried sick.  Standing behind the parapet, we waited desperately for rescue to come.

Fortunately, we heard the wailing siren of the fire brigade and the firemen immediately sprang into action and sprayed the monstrous fire with powerful, snake-like hoses.  Seeing that time was the essence, they also set up a safety net and were encouraging us to leap onto it.  I insisted that my grandma jumped first before I did.  She finally leapt after some coaxing.  I was next.  Holding my breath, I jumped and landed safely on the bouncy safety net.  I gave Grandma a big bear hug. Tears slipped down my sooty face as relief swept over me.  I was grateful that we had emerged from this ordeal unscathed. 


As for the fire, the efficiency of the firemen was astounding.  Within half an hour, the inferno was completely extinguished.  Grandma was prescribed bed rest and I was hailed as the hero of the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau