Monday, June 5, 2017

PSLE: Vandalism





“Stupid! Stupid principal!” I let out a string of expletives as I walked towards the school gate fuming. I rammed my fist into a nearby tree, causing my hand to swell, but I did not care. I hated that principal. He had caned me because I had dropped my water bottle down from the fourth storey of the school. What's wrong testing the law of gravity? As I walked under the sweltering heat, I felt my anger rise up within me. Fury was practically radiating off my pores and my eyes flashed in simmering anger.

Out of the blue, I saw a black BMW parked near the school gate. I recognized it straight away. It was my principal’s car. Suddenly, a terrible thought crossed my mind, and an impromptu giggle escaped my lips as I envisioned his car covered in graffiti. A sly smile spread across my thin lips as I went to a nearby shop and brought a few cans of spray paint. Time to display my artistic talent.  Woohoo!  I sprayed nasty words noticeably in red.  It read “Go Die.” 

I sprayed the car again and again, covering a coat of paint with another. When I was done, the once nice and beautiful BMW was now colourful and looked like it belonged to a five year old girl. I was not done. I took out my keys and scratched the metal doors and I even broke one of his wipers. It bended at a horrific angle. I stared incredulity at my “masterpiece”.  I was so proud of it!

"What is happening here?” a loud voice startled me. Turning around, I saw my arch-enemy, Tom, a prefect in front of me. He broke into a wide grin and sneered, “Well, well, well. Let’s see what the principal will think about this.”

I grimaced in horror.  If he told the principal, I would be in hot water again. I could not let the truth spill out. “Arghh!” I growled before lunging at Tom and delivered a punch to his nose. “Tell and you'll be dead meat!” I snarled.

He rolled his eyes!  That made me snap!  I rushed towards him and delivered blow after blow at him like he was a potato sack. He fought back. He swung his arm around desperately to hit me. One of his flying fists hit my ear which rang uncontrollably and I groaned in pain. Tom was small but he could definitely punch very well.

“What is happening here? Who did this to my car?” I froze momentarily. Lady Luck was not with me as Tom’s accusing finger pointed in my direction. It was THE PRINCIPAL.  Puffs of smoke emerged from his nose and ears. His angry glare bored through me like a laser beam. I thought I should flee but I would be fried more than ever. His face turned as red as molten lava. He dragged me all the way across the school to the office and told me to sit down.  I stared at all the canes hanging on the wall.  Not again!?

A wave of regret engulfed me. If only… if only I could have contained my anger.  The many “if only and what ifs” flooded into my mind. If only I could turn back time, I would not have done it. However, what was done could never be undone. The embarrassment of being dragged across the school by the principal burned deeply into my crimson cheeks. Hoping the principal would show me some mercy, I bowed my head in shame and waited for the dreadful punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau