Friday, May 27, 2011

PSLE: Vandalism

The melodious sound of the recess bell rang loudly and reverberated through the corridors.  Everyone stood up and made their way to the canteen.  I also hastened my steps, with my stomach growling in protest.   As I walked, I dug my hand into my pocket but realized that my wallet was missing.  Immediately, I recalled having left it in my schoolbag.
Immediately, I marched back to my classroom.  Upon reaching it, some subdued laughter halted my steps.  My curiosity was aroused and I was drawn toward the source of the sound.  Who could it be?  Knitting my brows together, I caught sight of some movement.  Jermiah, a notorious boy, was in ignorant bliss, drawing graffiti on the walls of the classroom.  He was obviously oblivious to my presence.  I stood there, shaking my head in disbelief!  After some major dithering, indignance rose within me and I hollered, “What do you think you are doing?”
Jermiah was caught off guard.  “None of your business,” he snarled with a tinge of warning.  He then continued doodling vulgarities on the wall as if it was a canvas for him to draw on.
I saw red and steam was blowing out of my ears.  I stomped towards him and roared, “Give me that can!” 
He glowered at me menacingly and hissed, “No way!” 
I rushed forward to snatch it but he was too strong for me.  “Ouch!”  I cried as he rammed punches in my stomach.  I clutched my abdomen tightly, groaning in pain as excruciating pain shot through my body.  I broke into a run to escape from him.  Unfortunately, Jermiah was a school athlete.  He sprinted faster than me and pounced on me in a flash.
I was dead meat!  He rained blows on me as if I were his punching bag. Fear pulsated me as my heart palpitated against my ribs.   I wished help would come my way but there was none.  Seconds crawled like hours.  Out of the blue, a high-pitched voice rang out, “What are you doing?”  I thanked my lucky stars for the discipline master had arrived!
I stood weakly and recounted what had happened.  Jermiah was caught red-handed!  He stood there like a Greek statue, his eyes staring at his toes and his palms clammy.  He was immediately sent to the principal’s office to answer for his misdeed.
The next day, Jermiah did not turn up in school.  I later found out that he was suspended for two weeks and was also made to paint the classroom all by himself.  As for me, I was commended publicly on the stage by my principal.   I beamed a proud grin for that was indeed the proudest day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau