Sunday, June 14, 2015

PSLE: A Serious Mistake

A composition that was written by my P6 student, Elly.  She has put in a lot of effort and I am so proud of her. 

Keep up the great work, Elly!  Love your stories :) 




“No! Please don’t! Give me a chance! I will be good from now on! I promise!” My words fell on deaf ears as the principal marched towards a drawer and unlocked it.   I was cloaked in hopelessness.  My well-deserved punishment was awaiting me. It was a serious offence!  My hands were clammy and beads of perspiration dotted my forehead. I knew I was done for. Hoping that time could reverse itself, I recollected what had just happened...

The heavy rain drenched me from head to toe. I carried my bag to school which weighed like a tonne. I quickly dashed to the bus,” Wait, don’t leave!” But the school bus ignored my yells and rumbled off. I was disappointed and my blood boiled. "Why didn't the stupid bus wait for me? I’m already late for school!” I moaned. I have no choice but run to school.

After what had seemed like eternity, I finally made it! I made a beeline for the school gate and sprinted towards the principal’s office to have my attendance marked. I strode to the counter to take the list to mark when the principal stared at me disapprovingly. I checked off my name and went for the door.

“Wait, why are you late?” the principal asked me, infuriated.

“It rained so...” I did not even finish my sentence! Her lecture unleashed like the flames from a seething dragon.  "If your friends could come and be punctual, why can’t you?” Fury was practically radiating from her pores and her eyes flashed in simmering angrily. “Get back to your class now!” she bellowed. 

By this time, the rain finally stopped and the sun gave off a sweltering heat.  Feeling indignant about that horrible dressing down, an idea suddenly popped inside me. An impromptu giggle escaped from my lips at the brazen thought. Time for revenge!

I strolled to the principal’s new Toyota Altis with my hands clutching a bag filled with a few spray cans. Craning my neck to make sure the coast was clear, I began my graffiti. "Here... How about here? Yes... A bit of blue.. Green over there...” After finishing my ‘masterpiece’, my eyes glittered with swollen pride. Grotesque and obscene graphics on the car exhibiting my artistic talents were simply fantastic, I should say.

I continued spraying some paint on the windscreen when I heard footsteps approaching. It was too   sudden that there was no time to flee. To my greatest horror, it was the security guard. His eyes were as big as saucers and his mouth was agape. Straightaway, an audible gasp of horror rose from his lips. I knew he would tell everything to the principal!  I was done for!  My delight evaporated fast and I blanched in trepidation. Tugging his big, rough hand, I pleaded for mercy but he pointed at the surveillance camera on the top of the wall! I was trapped!  Immediately, I was ordered to the general office.

“Why did you vandalise?!” the principal bellowed on top of her lungs, her accusing finger pointing in my direction. Puffs of smoke emerged from her ears and nose. I could not believe my eyes. I grimaced in horror, knowing I was doomed for. The other teachers' faces also contorted in anger and disappointment.

There I stood, realising the severity of my doing. It was too late and my principal decided to hold an emergency assembly just to mete out her punishment. My fate was sealed!  Unwavering gaze fixated on me as I stood on the stage. My legs turned soft like tofu. “It was time to brace myself for the caning..” How I dreaded the punishment!

I froze momentarily, face to face with the principal and the huge crowd of students and teachers. The principal went to a small drawer and opened it. My face fell. Fat ones, thin ones, long ones, short ones. All kinds of canes were lying inside! My breath hitched in my throat. Her angry glare bore through me like a laser beam.

All movements ceased as the principal raised the gargantuan cane. “Whip!” It slashed my skin hard. Merciless red lines covered my sore buttocks. Tears brimmed in my eyes and fell one by one. My dishevelled hair covered my guilty face. I regretted my actions! 

“Go!” my principal ordered and I scurried off, embarrassed to death. It was a serious mistake I should never have committed but all was too late.

Elly Sabrina Arun
P6


Awesome car paintwork done by professionals.  In whatever you do, BE the best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau