Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Run-On Sentence

If you don’t have FANBOYS between the two complete and separate thoughts, using a comma alone causes a run-on sentence.

BAD: My hamster loved to play, I gave him a hula-hoop.

BAD: You wore a lovely hat, it was your only defense.

To fix these run-on sentences, you can do one of four simple things:

Add FANBOYS ( For And Nor But Or Yet So).
My hamster loved to play and I gave him a hula-hoop.
Add a subordinator. (a word like because, while, although, if, when, since, etc.)
You wore a lovely hat since it was your only defense.
Make each clause a separate sentence.
My hamster loved to play. I gave him a hula-hoop.
Change the comma to a semicolon.
You wore a lovely hat; it was your only defense.

Modified from http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/commas.html#5

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau