Tuesday, July 5, 2011

PSLE: Bullies

“Hey, this is my card! Not yours!” I told Jevon.  “Oops!  I am sorry.  I took it by mistake!” came the reply with an apologetic look.  It was recess and Jevons and I were playing Ben 10 cards after a quick snack.   The spot we had selected was pretty secluded and as still as the tomb.

“My turn again!”  I smiled.  I placed my card on the stack and looked up.  Jevon was shivering like a leaf.  Shadows loomed over our heads.  I looked up!  Oh no!  It was the notorious duo, Weizheng and Rixin.

“Give us your cards,” Rixin, the crew-cut boy with black spectacles snarled, demanding for what was in our hands. 

We hesitated, unwilling to surrender our precious cards. 

“Hurry up!” hollered Weizheng, the wayward leader hollered at the top of his voice, his plump cheeks rippling as he spoke.

I turned to Jevon and whispered cautiously, “Let’s run and get help!”  Immediately, our feet flew and we ran like no tomorrow.  The two rascals gave chase and were in hot pursuit.  We  were panting hard and beads of perspiration was streaming down our cheeks.

Unfortunately, the notorious duo caught up with us and besieged us.  Our hearts fell instantly.  Weizheng clenched his fist and hissed, “Trying to go somewhere, huh?” 

Unshed tears started welling up in our eyes.  We huddled together and beseeched for mercy.  It was to no avail.  The two boys rained blows on us as if we were punching bags.  Excruciating pain shot through our bodies as we cried in pain. 

Just then, the clickety-click of the heels reverberated along the corridor.  Our hears raced against our cheeks.  Help was finally here!  The panic-stricken boys darted off, trying to escape.

“Weizheng and Rixin!  Where are you running to?”  A commanding voice rang out. It was my form teacher, Mrs Lee. 

Phew!  A great sense of relief washed over us!  I quickly told Mrs Lee what had happened.  She immediately stared daggers at the two boys.   The two boys halted and dragged their feet towards Mrs Lee, knowing that they had to brace themselves for the flack.   She took down their names and made them apologize.

Next, she attended to us and administered first aid.  Our hearts were filled with gratitude.   The next day, punishment was meted out to the two boys.  They had public caning on stage, two strokes each.  I felt the pain for them and hoped that they would mend their ways.  As for us, we learnt our lesson too.  Both of us vowed never to bring game cards to school again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau