Thursday, July 7, 2011

PSLE: Car Race

           Excitement charged through my veins.  My dream was finally going to materialize!  I was on my way to the airport with my mum in a cab.  We were going to Disney Tokyo.  Woohoo!  It was going to be my first time on the plane.  How incredible!  Even the rain pouring outside failed to dampen my mood.

          All of a sudden, a racing bike, travelling at back-breaking speed, appeared from nowhere and almost hit us by inches.  Fortunately, the vigilant taxi driver swerved aside and managed to avoid an accident.  Angry at the racing biker, the driver honked loudly in protest but the cyclist just flashed him his middle finger.

          Infuriated, his lips curled in fury and his eyes flashed in anger.  Gesticulating agitatedly, expletives cascaded out of his thin lips.  His foot stepped hard on the accelerator and the rickety cab engine gave a loud burst and lurched forward in full acceleration. 

          Needless to say, I tugged at my mother’s sleeves.  Both of us were stunned speechless and stared at each other in utter disbelief.  The nauseating speed of the whizzing taxi weaving perilously on the slippery road was making me dizzy.

          “Uncle, uncle, can you please STOP!  My son is going to vomit!” my mother beseeched the driver. Of course, our pleas fell on deaf ears.  The taxi driver was like a hunter after his prey!  I huddled close to my mum, holding onto our dear lives.    By this time, my heart was lodged in my throat and I could even hear my mum’s pounding heartbeat.

          Soon, the taxi neared the bike and both exchanged vindictive glares.  Neither of them was intimidated by the other and the duo were going neck and neck, engaging in a life-threatening race. 

          My mother and I were now reeling in fear, watching this drama unfolding before our eyes.  All we could do was to pray fervently for a miracle! 

           Just then, there was a loud ruptured sound.  The tyre had burst.  A hissing sound was following by a loud screeching sound.  The taxi was crashing into a Mercedes Benz in front of it.  The driver did a jam-brake!  We closed our eyes and buckled into a tight hug, waiting for a loud crash.  We were definitely done for!

          By the time, we opened our eyes, we saw the taxi missed the car by a hair’s breath.  Our ordeal was finally over.  We escaped unscathed.    

         As if coming to his senses, the taxi driver whipped his head around and apologized, “Sorry, sorry!  My tyre has punctured.” 

          My mother was livid with rage.  How could he endanger the lives of his passengers?  He could have gotten us killed!  My mother demanded to alight and with the luggage in tow, we waited along the expressway for another cab.

          Unfortunately, we missed our flight.  My dream was dashed!  I really hated this taxi driver.  It was just our luck to board this cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau