Saturday, September 24, 2011

PSLE: A Christmas Shopping Trip Went Awry

“What shall we get for dad and mum on Christmas Day?” Neave, my kid brother, asked with his small beady eyes gleaming under the light.   “Shut up!”  I replied with annoyance.  I was so fed up!  I could not stand Neave, who had been bugging me for the past two hours on what presents to buy.  We were in the newly-revamped Causeway Point, doing our Christmas shopping.  We had so little money and it made shopping really tough.

The shopping centre was thronging with shoppers.  Christmas carols were playing in the background which enlivened the festive mood.    A sale was on with bargain buys everywhere.  The bazaar of olive green and crimson red at the atrium caught our eyes.  

“Stay close by,” I instructed him as we nudged our way through the noisy crowd.

All of a sudden,  “kaboom!” A loud blast ricocheted through the air.  The enormous Christmas tree that was decorated with bells and cherubs burst into flames.  Immediately, all hell broke loose.  Everyone was running helter-skelter for their dear lives.   Their ashen-white faces looked besieged with trepidation.  Their mouths were agape.  Many were carrying their belongings, trying to salvage them from the rampant flames.

I looked about me.  Where was Neave?  Where was the little rascal?  Anxiety coursed through my veins and bleached my face white.  Smoke and sparks were whirling in all directions.  My eyes were scanning everywhere.

Suddenly, a loud cry reverberated through the air.   It sounded familiar.  It was Neave!  By this time, his neatly combed hair had transformed into a frizzy dirty mop.  His face was black with ash.  His fat tears were streaming down his chubby face.

“Neave, I am over here!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

“Where?  I can’t see you!” Neave cried with all his might.

My legs took flight and I bolted toward him like the wind.  I engulfed with my a bear-tight hug and cried tears of relief.

Just then, a loud crack splintered at the base of the Christmas tree.  It swayed to and fro and fell right at our direction!  “Run! Neave! Run!” I exclaimed and hugged his little finger and fled.  However, the tree collapsed faster than our legs could run.  Crash!  It fell on my back.   Neave, who was a step ahead of me, blanched with horror. 

“Grab my hand, Fraser!”  his soft squeaky voice yelled.  Alas!  No matter how hard he tugged, the tree refused to budge.  Meanwhile, the flames were spreading fast.  Branches after branches were catching fire.  “Neave, go and get help,”  I pleaded. 

“No! I will not leave you.”

“If you don’t, we will both die.”

Neave’s legs began to break into a run.  Before he disappeared behind the smoke, I shouted, “Neave, remember, I love you.”

I had a bad feeling that I would not make it.  Doomed thoughts bubbled in my head.  My breaths became ragged and choky.  It was like inhaling tear gas.

Suddenly, two shadowy figures mysteriously appeared.  It was Neave and a firefighter.  I flashed a weak smile before I fainted.

When I regained my consciousness, I saw Neave beside me with a paramedic.  The siren was wailing loudly as  the ambulance made its way to the hospital.  I grasped my brother’s hand and whispered, “Sorry for being such a lousy brother.  I am so mean to you.”  Tears welled up in my eyes.  Neave wiped them away with his tiny hands and replied, “You’re the best brother I could ever have.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau