Sunday, February 19, 2012

P6 A mysterious parcel and a stranger

Your parents often warn you never to accept anything from strangers.  Yet, one day a stranger approached you and gave you a parcel.  You refused but the stranger insisted.

The swing outside my house clanged gently in the breeze but I was sulking.  Urgh!  I really hated my new baby sister!  She was crying all the time and getting all of my parents’ attention.   This was so unfair!

Then, I heard heavy footsteps trudging down the street.  The echo resounded louder and louder and it was a girl carrying a parcel.  I had never seen her before despite the small neighbourhood.   

She approached me and asked in her tiniest voice, “Can you take care of this parcel for me?”

I looked at her in the eyes and hesitated.  There were tears in her big marble eyes.  My parents’ warning screamed in my mind, “Don’t never accept anything from strangers!”

“I am sorry.  I can’t.”  I shook my head adamantly.

“Can you, PLEASE?”  she asked again.

Should I or should I not?  What could be inside the parcel?  Curiosity was killing me.    Just then, a pair of little paws perched over the edge of the cover.  A small ball of fur popped out.  It was a tiny little puppy.  A golden retriever to be precise and it was incredibly adorable.  I reached out my finger to stroke its soft paw.

“My doggie has just given birth to two.  My mom says I can keep one but throw away the other.  Please take care of it for me,” she spoke in-between sobs.

I felt sorry for her.  The puppy reminded me of myself – the rejected one. 

I took the dog and said reassuringly, “I will take care of it no matter what.”

The girl flashed a brilliant smile and said, “Thank you.”  She then disappeared down the street with light steps, echoing in a distance.

When I took the dog home.  My parents were shocked!  “What  on earth is this?”  Daddy bellowed.

“It’s a dog.  A little girl gave it to me,” I answered rather timidly.

“Who says you can keep a dog?”  Daddy barked and tried to snatch the dog away.

Huge tears fell one by one.  I hugged my new puppy real tight.  “No one is going to get my puppy!”  I wailed aloud.  “You never care for me.  You only care for Sissy.  I hate Sissy! And I hate you!”

My parents stared in disbelief.  The dog whined softly as if it understood my sadness.  I ran to my room, sobbing away.  Inside, I heard muted voices of my parents furiously discussing on what to do.

A while later, Mum came in.  She crooned, “Dad and I have decided that you can keep the puppy if you promise to take care of it.  Promise?”  She flashed her pinkie finger at me.

“Promise!”  I smiled as I hooked her last finger over mine.

“And remember, we love as much as we love sissy,” she reassured lovingly.  I nodded, knowing that giving me the puppy was definitely love in action.

Till now, I have never seen the little girl again.  She was like an angel who mysteriously dropped a puppy into our lives.   Goldie has been with us for two years.  He gets excited and barks noisily whenever we are on the clanging swing.   Sissy adores him too and he is definitely OUR dog.








No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau