Saturday, February 11, 2012

PSLE: A phone call

I was just about to take a shower when the telephone rang.  In an urgent voice, the caller told me to meet him/her in the neighbourhood park immediately.  I rushed to the park.

“Arghh!  Today’s just too hot.  I shall have a shower before doing my homework,” I muttered to myself.   Just as I was about to enter the bathroom, the telephone screamed for my attention.

“Hello? Who’s that?” I asked in irritation, rolling my eyes.

“It’s me, Roshel.  Come quickly to the park NOW!” The line went dead.

What has happened to Roshel?  Why would she ask me to meet at the park?  Was she in trouble?  A barrage of questions hit me.  What could have happened to my kid sister?  There was an ominous feeling in the pit of my stomach.  However, I told myself to keep calm.  I had to find Roshel!

When I reached the park, the fragrance of the flowers greeted me but the park was eeriely quiet.  Roshel was nowhere to be seen. 

Strange.

Too strange.

All too strange.

Didn’t Roshel ask me to meet her here?  But where was she?  I panicked and decided to call her on my mobile.

Just then, I felt a tap on my shoulder.  It was Roshel.  Her face was white – as white as snow.  It was as if she had seen a ghost.  Her brand new, sparkling white Nike sweatsuit was all soiled and dirty.

“Roshel, what has happened?” I asked.

“I was walking our dog when it ran really fast.  I couldn’t grasp its leash properly so he has managed to escape,”  Roshel explained.  “I did try to catch him but he was too fast.  So, I have lost him.  I’m sorry, Raeann.”

What?  She lost our ten-month-old Shitzu puppy!  I was speechless.  Tiny…my precious Tiny was missing!  I was infuriated!  How could she?  Still, I knew, instead of admonishing her, the main priority was just to find Tiny.

Roshel and I split up to find Tiny.

We searched the pond.  No, not there.

We searched the pavilions.  No, not there.

We searched the toilet.  No, not there.

I started losing hope.  I was worried sick!  What if Tiny was stolen?  Or even worse, hit by a car?  My imagination turned wild.

With the last glimmer of hope, we searched the playground. I checked the see-saw, the merry-go-round, and the swings.  Just then, I found some  paw-prints.  I followed them and spotted a brown furry ball.  It was Tiny!  It was really smelly and grubby!  When Tiny saw me, he trotted towards me and wagged its tail, barking non-stop.  The moment I carried it into my bosom, it immediately stopped barking and licked my face wet.

 Tears streamed down my cherubic face.  I had almost lost my dog!  What would I do without Tiny?  If I really lost him, what would I do?  Although it was only with our family for five months, it seemed like years and it has already become a part of us.  I hugged Tiny tightly.

After I found Tiny, I gave Roshel a big dressing-down.  Roshel was truly apologetic and promised not to lose it again.  Knowing my muddle-headed sister, who knows when will I receive such phone calls again?






No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau