Thursday, September 19, 2013

PSLE: Standing up to injustice

The train carriage was bursting at its seams. My bums rested on the cold orange seat while my legs felt like a pile of lead. I was feeling exhausted as I had just finished my basketball training. The stench of human perspiration streamed throughout the entire confines of the train. Although the train was air-conditioned, it was so crowded that the air conditioner could not help much.

I was dozing off when I caught sight of an elderly lady. Wisps of silvery grey hair were plastered to her forehead and her face was as crumpled as a sour plum, drained of all colours. Her gnarled fingers were gripping bags of groceries, her back bent under the strain. My heart went out to her. Without hesitation, I rushed to her aid by  nudging my way towards her to offer her my precious seat.

The old lady flashed a grateful smile that revealed her toothless gums. As she plodded toward the vacant seat arduously, an obese man swiftly plumped onto the seat. His fat neck and cheeks quivered as he sat.

Although I was fuming with injustice, I knew I had to keep my cool.  Flashing a saccharine smile as I pointed at the old lady, I spoke in my sweetest voice, “Excuse me, Uncle. This seat is for the old lady.” However, the obese man just feigned ignorance and closed his beady eyes.

How obnoxious! How ill-mannered he was! By this time, I was mad with rage! “Hey man! This is the seat I am giving to the old lady! This is not for you! Get out of the seat NOW!” I boomed indignantly.

He remained nonchalant.  Folding his arms, he refused to budge. Feeling the righteousness rising in me, I attempted to drag him out of the seat like the way a farmer tried to pull an enormous turnip out of the soil. Still, it did not work for he was as heavy as a hippopotamus. By now, the passengers were all throwing appalled stares at him.

Out of nowhere, a muscular man, dressed in a body-hugging white T-shirt, appeared. Feeling agitated by what he had seen, he could not take this lying down. He stared steely at the rotund man.  Pounding his clenched fist against his open palm, he spoke gravely, “Hey man, how could you take the old lady’s seat? You want to have a taste of my knuckle?” He stood, flexing his hulky, bulging biceps.  
The passengers started jeering and booing at the fat man in unison.

Mortified by fear and embarrassment, the fat man muttered his apologies and alighted hastily. All the passengers clapped their hands and cheered at this turn of event. The old lady finally got her seat, grinning from ear to ear.


Just then, I reached my destination and alighted. As the train doors closed, I turned and waved goodbye at the old lady and the muscular man through the glass window until the train rumbled back into the welcoming arms of the dark tunnel.  






 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau