Thursday, September 11, 2014

PSLE: An Awry Roller Coaster Ride



The sun filtered through the canopy of emerald leaves as the fluffy clouds waltzed across the azure sky. Peals of laughter were getting louder and louder by the seconds as we approached the entrance.

"Yes!  Finally, we've reached our destination!"  Vinesh, my younger brother, chirped as excitement bubbled inside him.

“I'll try all the rides no matter what!” I exclaimed enthusiastically. My parents nodded as we made our way past the cold metallic turnstile. Upon entering, we were hit by the jovial chatter that bombarded us on all sides. The theme park was like a jamboree. It was packed with holiday makers who were milling around, enjoying the zesty atmosphere. The synergy of the boisterous crowd and the merriment all around was simply contagious.

In a distance, a gargantuan coaster ride caught my eye. My face immediately lit up in delight. I craned my neck to admire its triple twists, its sharp turns and its incredible height. The highest point was fifteen storey high! Awesome! The children and parents were screaming their lungs out. That looked like - fun!



Immediately, I grabbed hold of Vinesh's hand and insisted to try this gargantuan ride. My parents followed close behind. Soon, we were part of the super-long snake-like queue.

“Erm... Why don't you go ahead, Bro, with dad and mum?” Vinesh suggested hesitantly, despite his bubbling nature.

Even though I was extremely frightened, I was determined to ride on the roller coaster. So, I put on a brave front and insisted, “No way! You're going to join us!”

Vinesh contemplated seriously. His eyebrows furrowed for he wanted badly to avoid this stomach-churning ride. Inside him, his heart was probably pounding furiously as he had a phobia of height.

“But...but...” Vinesh stammered with hesitation.

“No more buts!” I immediately cut him off and held his hand real tight, refusing to let go. After some major dithering, Vinesh let out a sigh of resignation and finally consented.

The queue was agonisingly long. It was a nerve-wrecking process waiting for our turn. Finally we reached the head of the queue. Vinesh and I hopped into a cart while my parents took the one behind us. I smiled like a Cheshire cat lapping a bowl of milk, waiting the ride to start. The harness strapped us each closely to our bodies. The suspense was killing us. What could possibly go wrong?

Zoom! The ride took off like a whizzing bullet. I clenched and unclenched my clammy hands as the train flew up and down the track. The machine clanked and grinded as it sped like the wind. Vinesh almost puked. Finally we reached the climax of the ride where the train turned the riders topsy-turvy as it flipped upside down, reaching the crest of the track at lightning speed.

With bated breath, we held our hands real tight. Our excitement was short-lived. Out of the blue, a strange 'click' sound echoed nearby. Before I even realised it, Vinesh had disappeared from his seat. His hand had slipped away from mine and he was plunging downwards at top speed. “No! Vinesh!” I yelled as my stomach clenched. A heart-wrenching scream instantly rose from my agape mouth.



A loud deafening thud resounded through the air. Vinesh had fallen to the hard cement ground. A puddle of crimson blood soon pooled ceaselessly beside him. The ride brought us back to the station and we sped our way to where Vinesh had landed. His legs were twisted inwards at a horrible angle under the darkened sky which started to drizzle.

I rushed to the scene and froze on the spot. Stunned! A crowd had gathered. Looks of horror were painted all over their faces. Diamond-like tears began streaking down my cherubic face. How could this happen? What took place next became a blur. All I could only remember was the ambulance, the paramedics, the casket van, the undertakers and the funeral. Vinesh was subsequently cremated, with his powdery ashes thrown into the sea.

What have I done? I have caused the death of my closest buddy cum dearest brother. This immense guilt and overwhelming regret wears me down continuously. I have become a shadow of my former self. Laughter has left our home for good. It is like Vinesh has stolen the soul of our family. Vinesh, we miss you so, so much. Till death do us meet.



http://globalnews.ca/news/1438194/5-deadly-roller-coaster-accidents/

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/malaysian-girl-dies-being-flung-australian-funfair-ride-111414004.html

Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQuFooSTNWk
(Warning: This video shows REAL roller coaster accidents taking place. So, the images are quite disturbing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau