Monday, January 12, 2015

PSLE: Train Accident

The train rattled onwards as I gazed around me. Neave was squirming excitedly in his seat for he could not wait to reach Kuala Lumpur for our grandparents would be picking us up at the train station. It was a much deserved break for me as I had just finished my O level examinations.

The train was bursting at its seams. It was swarming with holidaymakers and their bubbly children who, like Neave, could hardly sit still. As the train was overbooked, I had to battle for a small standing spot but I did not mind at all for Neave would not be able to stand so long as he was only at the tender age of five.

One more hour to go, I thought to myself, and flashed a light grin as I could visualize the happy faces of my grandparents. Neave had already fallen asleep, snoring softly. The train was now whizzing through a dark tunnel as it rumbled under a gigantic mountain.

A loud metallic clank suddenly resounded through the air. An ominous dread filled my heart instantly. What could that be? It was immediately followed by the sound of a deafening impact that sounded like a thousand thunder rolls. I lost my balance that my back took a hard hit. All hell broke loose as piercing shrieks of hysterical passengers punctured the air. Panic, blood and shattered smithereens were everywhere. The peaceful scene of happiness disappeared and was replaced by an outrageous scene of pandemonium. An acrid smell spread and permeated the carriages and refused to leave. The flickering brightness overhead finally gave up its lights.

A thought then hit me like a lightning bolt! Where was Neave? I staggered to my feet and went in search of him. Stepping over corpses and dying passengers, I kept calling out to him but there was no reply. Despair filled me as I feared the worst. I remembered the mobile phone in my pocket and switched on the app of LED torch. One by one, I shone my light onto every possible candidate that might not even look remotely like Neave, be it physique or appearance. The atmosphere intensified with doom as I labored about, hunting for Neave, leaving no stone unturned. My ears ached and kept ringing badly because of the impact of the crash. Swamped by a wave of dizziness, I persevered on. Lady Luck was with me. I spotted a young boy near the train doors and plodded towards him. It was Neave who had landed face flat. He was unconscious.

I stifled my sobs of tears as I cleaned the blood stains that were on his cherubic face. Was Neave going to die? My mind raced at breakneck speed. What should I do? Mustering all my strength, I heaved him over my back and lumbered forward, looking for an open exit. Neave was heavy but I clutched his hands in a death grip, not daring to let him go.

Finally, I spotted a warped door and left the train. It was an onerous journey with Neave on my back but I trudged on. Neave was getting heavier and heavier. Perspiration dampened my dark curls and my face screwed up in pain and exhaustion but never did I think of giving up. A sparkle of hope kindled within me when I saw rays of light streaming into the tunnel. Finally, we emerged into daylight. I looked around.  It was a small town. Curious stares of strangers bored into us.  Sensing something amiss, many came running towards us. I collapsed. Help had finally come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau