Tuesday, January 28, 2014

PSLE: The Slingshot Story


The day dawned bright and lovely. The sun was shining brightly, warming my rosy cheeks. The butterflies were fluttering their wings, collecting nectar from the fragrant hibiscus. I was fidgeting with my brand new slingshot in the lovely garden, wondering what to do with it.

The ripe juicy apples on the tree were so tempting. It was as if they were beckoning for me to eat them. I was so eager to taste them. Saliva pooled in my mouth. I had to figure out how to get those delicious apples! 

Without thinking, I rushed under the tree and kept jumping to reach the apples. I was too short! I decided to climb up the trunk. However, I was not a good climber. No matter how I tried, I could not reach the branches. I was too heavy! 

Just then, a brainwave popped in my head. Why not use my slingshot? First, I searched a small round pebble. Next, I flexed my muscles and pulled the rubber band backwards with all my might. Then, I aimed with my right eye and let go of the band. Yet, I did not score a bullseye. Instead, it whizzed to the apple but missed and flew straight into my neighbour's open window.

There was a loud "ouch!" My feet were glued to the ground! I knew I was in hot soup and my face blanched white in trepidation. Just then, the door clicked open and Mr Rogers marched out in fury with a big frown. There was a big blue-black on his right eye. It must be the pebble. Oops! I was dead meat. I spurted as fast as my legs could carry me, entered my house and locked the door. I was heaving hard for I had never run so fast in my life before.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. I was so scared that I hid under my bed shivering in fright. My mother answered the door and I could hear Mr Rogers shouting for me, “Boy, you'd better come and face me!”

My mother immediately found out what had happened and was furious. She pulled me out from under my bed and dragged me to the door. She made me apologise to Mr Rogers and forced me to take out my savings to pay for Mr Rogers' medical fee. She then reprimanded me when Mr Rogers left and broke my slingshot into two. That was the end of my slingshot.









pd

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau