Thursday, August 21, 2014

PSLE: Fire Alarm at a Supermarket

“Silent night, holy night...” A popular Christmas hymn was blaring from the overhead speakers. Christmas was coming and my parents were at a crowded Cold Storage supermarket busy doing some last minute shopping. I was made in charge of looking after my toddler brother, Sammy, waiting outside the exit. It was a tough assignment! Imagine a ten-year-old looking after a two-year-old. He was quite a handful.

“Sammy Chan Mingwen! Could you please sit still?” my stern voice shouted.

The naughty fellow turned a deaf ear and continued swinging his fat legs to and fro while sitting on the bench. “Hey, that’s Santa!” We saw a fleeting shade of bright red and his dimples burrowed deep into his soft silky skin. Before I knew it, he leapt off, running into the busy supermarket, searching eagerly for the elusive Santa Claus like a hound pursuing its game.

“Come back, you rascal!” I yelled, panting for breaths, chasing after him. Beads of perspiration dotted my forehead.

No matter where he meandered, Santa was missing. It was as if Santa was playing hide and seek with him. I finally caught up with him and with his tiny hand in mine, we marched back towards the exit.

"Follow me closely, Sam, and don't ever get lost again for goodness' sake!" I turned to my brother and issued a stern warning.

Just then, a loud wail rang out and echoed ominously through the air. It was the fire alarm! Somewhere was on fire. The smell of smoke grew strong and invaded my nostrils. Pandemonium broke out. Shrieks of panic-stricken crowd were reverberating in the air. Everyone was running towards the exit. 

As if that was not enough, a sudden blackout took place. Everywhere was blanketed in darkness. Straightaway, the supermarket was plunged into complete chaos. I looked about me. To my horror, Sam was missing! He was gone! Not even a trace! This boy had a phobia of darkness. Where could he be? He seemed to have disappeared into thin air. Cold chills ran down my spine and my heart pounded like the firing of a machine gun. I had to find him – fast! 

Kaboom! A loud blast ricocheted through the air. Fire broke out from the bakery section and all hell broke loose in that instant. Smoke and sparks were whirling in all directions. Cries of fear and despair sliced through the air. People were running amok. Terror filled my heart which was like a piano playing a series of staccatos. 

"Sammy, where are you?" I shouted repeatedly. I searched everywhere, yelling his name and groping in darkness with the help of a tinge of light that shone from the exit. That silly boy would not be smart enough to run towards the light. Just then, I bumped into someone. A lanky man towered over me. 

“What are you doing, boy? Follow me!” his commanding voice ordered as he held my hand like a vice. A familiar bawling sound rang out. It was Sammy! He was probably just a distance away.

“Let me go! Let me go! I need to find my brother! He is looking for me!” I implored.

Out of the blue, another explosion sound blasted through the air. The merciless flames continued to spread fast like the bush fire. The heat was getting unbearable and the inferno was getting intense. The man lifted me over his shoulder and his legs broke into a sprint. He ran like there were no tomorrow. I cried hard looking in the direction of Sammy’s cries which became softer and softer. 


“Sam! Sam! I need to save my brother! Let me go!” I beseeched with tears that fell like sparkling diamonds. My pleas fell on deaf ears. Soon we reached the exit and the area had already been cordoned off. The man gently released his grip. I tried to run back and was stopped by the police. 

Golden flames soon engulfed the supermarket as black columns of smoke billowed upwards like an erupted volcano. As the crowd gathered outside at a safe place, I looked around me and spotted Santa. I ran towards him and my clenched fists rammed into him. “It is all your fault! It is all your fault!” I cried. “Sam would not have run in if not because of you!” The man was baffled. He probably would never have guessed what had happened. Sam died.



Alternative ending

Just then, another man dashed out from the fire. He was clad in red and a white beard adorned his rosy face which was covered with grey ash. It was Santa! In his arms was Sam! Santa had saved my brother! I could not believe my eyes. My legs took flight and I ran towards them. "Thank you, Santa! Thank you!" Words of gratitude poured from my lips. 

There was a poignant pause when I turned towards my brother. Our eyes met. Tears brimmed in my eyes, streaking down one by one. “Sam! I thought I would never see you again! You rascal!” Without a word, my soot-covered brother pounced onto me and gave me a super tight bear hug. His tears unleashed non-stop and soaked my shoulder wet. That night, I realized how much I love that little rascal. 



Fire breaks out at Supermarket.


Fire destroys Supermarket.

Bag of Charcoal Ignited Inside Supermarket

Three teenage boys accused of igniting a bag of charcoal inside of a supermarket were arrested.

Arrests relating to Supermarket Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau