Friday, August 29, 2014

PSLE: An Unbelievable Rescue


Peals of laughter resounded through the air. The salty scent of the seawater was so refreshing. We had finally reached the beach! Excitement bubbled within me. I could not wait to jump into the azure waters.

“I bet you won’t dare to swim too far,” my little elfin brother, Marcus, half-jokingly teased. “You are such a lousy swimmer.”

I ignored him and stomped towards the beckoning waves. With my Mickey Mouse float around my small frame, I plunged into the waters, having a whale of a time. 

After a short while, I realized I was quite far from the shoreline. Marcus waved at me to come back but I ignored him. I was in absolute oblivion, enjoying the warm seawater under the hot sun. When I looked back at the beach, people were like tiny specks. 

Out of the blue, gentle waves started turning rough. Salty water was invading my nostrils and I was coughing and spluttering non-stop. I was being pulled out against the shoreline by the undercurrents! I tried to steady myself but more waves pounded onto me. Goosebumps broke across my nape. I could barely breathe. Was I going to die? I tried hard to keep my mind occupied from entertaining the horror of drowning out at sea.

Suddenly, I spotted a fleeting dark shadow, followed by an enormous fin. A shark! A vociferous scream tore out from my agape lips and I was on the edge of giving up! My heart was pounding hard against my ribcage and my skinny arms were flailing up in the air. Terror was etched all over my face. Anticipating a shark attack, I remembered that sharks cannot see properly and I stretched like a wooden log and kept very still. 

Miraculously, I felt like my body was lifted slightly. A shadow was right under me. It glided up the water’s surface. I was moving in rhythmic movement, up and down, up and down the choppy sea. A dolphin! It was a dolphin. It had come to rescue me! I could hardly believe my good fortune. I held onto its dorsal fin in a death grip and tried not to slip. Within minutes, I returned on the back of the frolicking dolphin and we reached chest-high water. Hooray! I made it to safety. I dismounted and was back on the beach, gazing at the endearing dolphin in deep gratitude.

The dolphin called out in an amazing, high-pitched voice and slapped its tail on the waters as if to say goodbye. Everyone on the beach was touched and in awe. Marcus, however, was in sobs and tears. For a moment, he thought that I was going to die! He hugged me tightly, refusing to let me go. That day, the mischievous boy changed and never teased me again.

Jason Koh P6


A dolphin saves a dog!

A dolphin pats a cat!
A dolphin asks a diver for help!       


No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau