Monday, February 2, 2015

PSLE: Train Accident



“Wake up! Wake up! We’re going to be late!” my brother, Neave, complained as he threw pillows at me. I groaned. Painstakingly, I scrambled out of bed and shooed my brother out of my room. Today, my brother and I were going to Malaysia to visit his favourite aunt, the same aunt I never liked. Since my parents were working, I volunteered to bring him with me. Regretting my decision now, I grudgingly headed towards the bathroom door.

Once we were finally done, I glanced at my watch. Wait! Was the time really half past ten? Pulling out my smartphone, I looked at it. My worst fears were confirmed. We were going to be late! Our train would be leaving at ten-forty five! Grabbing out bags and a clueless brother, we flew out of the door. 

After pressing the lift button for at least a million times, the lift finally arrived. I decided to call for a taxi. “The train station, please” I called out to the taxi driver when he arrived about an eternity later. I was restless in the taxi and I could not find a comfortable spot to sit. Neave was seated comfortably, looking forward to the journey. Once I reached the train station, I gave the taxi driver the fare and we then walked towards the door. Yes! I made it with two minutes to spare. Handing over two tickets to the officer, we entered the packed station.

The train station itself was indeed extremely crowded. Bustling crowd of families filled up every corner of the train station. I could hear bubbly voices of children merry-making, and laud chatter from strangers. When the train rattled in, everyone rushed to the doors. Gripping my brother’s hand tightly, we squeezed in with everyone else. Before long, the train rattled on merrily. 

My brother managed to snatch a seat and hang his legs over the one beside him, ‘reserving’ a seat for me, much to the annoyance of several passengers that were standing nearby. Calling my name out continuously, he told me to hurry over. I grimaced, seeing the glares from the passengers, I went over, having a good mind to lecture him about how he was depriving someone from a seat. However, I never got a chance to do so, as a loud blast rudely interrupted me. An unknown impact threw me off my feet, as I landed on the wall of the train carriage, writhing in pain. The lights flickered on and off, on and off, and went out altogether.

All hell broke loose.

Hysterical Passengers tried scrambling up but to no avail. The carriage tilted to an awkward angle. There was an outrageous scene of pandemonium as shrieks vibrated through the air. The air was permeated with an acrid smell that was hurting our throats. My eyes could only see darkness, darkness that never seemed to end. All of a sudden, one thought struck me. Where was Neave?

Panic filled me as I felt my way around, screaming my brother’s name non-stop. Soon, I had to gasp for air as the fresh air in the carriage was depleting fast. 

“Sister!” It was very faint. “Sister!” it seemed to come from the middle of the carriage amidst the groaning and moaning of other passengers.

“I’m coming. Hold on!” Running, I did not stop till I reached the middle. Feeling around for a boy’s face, I found him!

“Sister” his voice was very weak and laboured. Gasping in shock, I checked his pulse rate. It was very weak. Tears streamed down my face as I shook his shoulders madly. He was annoying but what was my life going to be without him? Plain, boring and sad. I piggybacked him as I hurried towards the door. I could only hope that Lady Luck stayed with me.

Tugging at the door, I realised my nightmare had just materialised. The stupid doors refused to budge. The atmosphere intensified with doom as the unharmed came forward to help. Mustering all my strength, we pulled at it. Great! The door reluctantly gave in. I rushed out with the other passengers with my brother still on my back. I hobbled forward and tried to ignore the pain from my twisted ankle. What could I do? I could only blame the crash for it.

Looking around, I longed to see the opening of the tunnel. A cloak of darkness blanketed the entire place. Only heavy footsteps echoed and bounced along the quiet tunnel. I was overwhelmed with fear as my breaths came in heavy puffs. It was not really easy limping in the dark. Perspiration dampened my dark curls. 

I was giving up. That light of hope that used to kindle inside of me was long gone. My run slowed into jog, which slowed into a walk. Wait, was that light? Yes! Flashes of light! Paramedics, firemen and rescuers were on the way, hurrying towards us. Help had finally arrived. At that defining moment, I flashed a weak grin and finally collapsed. When I awoke, I found myself on a hospital bed but where was Neave?

Written by Cheng Yu Ting (P6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau