Tuesday, June 2, 2015

PSLE: Losing Grandmother


Source: http://redwiretimes.com/acoss-the-causeway/elderly-woman-snatch-theft-dragged/


Picture 1: A motorbike
Picture 2: A handbag
Picture 3: Coconuts

It is my birthday again but how could I bring myself to celebrate it? It is painful, way too painful. It was on this day that my beloved grandmother left me. If only I could turn back the clock, she would be celebrating my birthday for many more years to come. Deep in thoughts, my finger twirls and plays with the diamond pendant on my neck that I always wear on my birthday without fail. Memories of the past could not help but begin replaying themselves once again…

It was three years ago when I was fifteen. We were outside “Jin Loong Goldsmith”, a reputable jewellery store along Chinatown Road. Grandma had just bought me a pretty platinum necklace and a lovely heart-shaped diamond that went along with it. It probably cost a hand and a leg but Grandma refused to tell me how much it had cost her. Happiness bubbled inside me as I looked forward to wearing it at the birthday dinner to be held later that night.

The road was busy with vehicles whizzing to and fro. The weather was scorching hot and we were literally melting in the sun. Our throats were parched like the Sahara desert. The coconuts at the opposite side of the road were beckoning us to buy them.

“Grandma, let’s get some coconuts to quench our thirst,” I suggested in a chirpy voice.

She readily nodded and held my hand real tight as we began making our way across the hazardous road. We were in the middle of a busy lane when a deafening 'vroom' sliced through the air. Mounted on a rickety motorbike, a man, wearing a singlet, was zooming at top speed.  His sweat on his bulky frame of toned-bronze muscles glinted under the searing heat.

As the motorcyclist whizzed by, he closed in on us and Grandma suddenly took a vicious tumble. What was going on? For a fleeting moment, I was in total bewilderment. Then, I realized what had happened! The evil motorcyclist was a snatch thief and his burly arm was grabbing my grandma’s handbag! He was dragging poor Grandma along the rough tarmac! My mouth drew agape in utter horror and my face turned ghastly pale.

“Grandma! Let go of the bag!” I yelled. However, my gutsy grandma clung on and refused to let go. She was holding onto the bag, guarding it with her dear life. My eyes widened in alarm! It must be the necklace in the bag! How could Grandma be so foolish?

“Thief! Thief!” The words ripped out from my dry throat. In that frantic moment, all eyes, alerted by my cries, fell on me, my grandma and the villain. Alarmed, the thief tried to speed off.  The quick-thinking coconut stallholder grabbed a coconut and threw it at the thief.  He scored a bull's eye!   Some onlookers then ran and pounce on him, rendering him powerless.

A chill ran down my spine as I stared at Grandma, lying motionless in a pathetic heap. Bruises and wounds were all over.  My face flushed red and hot tears brimmed helplessly in my eyes. A dam of emotions burst from within.  I rushed forward and cradled Grandma in my arms, yelling for someone to call for an ambulance.

Sadly, Grandma was gone.

The agony of losing my beloved grandmother was absolutely unbearable. I cried buckets for many months after that. Even though the villain was subsequently sentenced to serve a  fifteen-year jail term, nothing could soothe the pain for I knew Grandma would never come back again.

A teardrop splashes on my hand and transports me back to the present. I have this sudden urge to snuggle into Grandma’s bosom once again. Gazing at Grandma’s smiling portrait,  all I could do is to plant a kiss on the diamond pendant and whisper, “Love you, Grandma, always and forever.”

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/gutsy-elderly-woman-dragged-15m-on-road-by-snatch-thieves

PS:

I love my grandmother very much.  I love her touch, her smile, her cooking and her coins that she liked to give us.  Sadly, when I was nine, she fell in the toilet, broke her neck and died instantly.  The coffin was covered without me getting a chance to say goodbye. I will never, ever forget her.

Do treasure your grandparents while they are around.  When they are gone, they are GONE.

With love,
Mrs Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau